About Our Organization
Founded in 1897 as a formal music conservatory serving 200 students, the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music now serves more than 15,000 individuals annually and collaborates with more than 50 organizations including schools, and youth, social service and senior centers, as well other arts and culture organizations and city agencies, to provide music instruction, music therapy, and performances in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan.
The Brooklyn Conservatory of Music: transforming lives and building community through the expressive, educational and therapeutic powers of music.
BKCM is committed to providing a nurturing environment that promotes and personifies excellence, collaboration, and community for individuals engaged in performing and music study
The Brooklyn Conservatory of Music (BKCM) seeks 1 full time Registrar/Operations Specialists and 1 potential part time Registrar/Operations Specialist with possible opportunity to increase to full time. Registrars/Operations Specialists are the primary staff liaisons with onsite students/clients; the position requires excellent customer service, multi-tasking and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate is friendly, patient, can easily adapt to different customer situations, learn new registration/reservation systems, and is comfortable with technology.
Registrars ensure that all students, family, and faculty receive the highest level of customer service, in addition to handling key backend maintenance of the registration and room reservation systems. The Registrar position provides hands on experience in the operations of a busy community music school, and potential opportunities to assist in other areas within BKCM including special events, marketing, social media, programming, and financial / administration management. This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Administration with a $35,000-$37,000 salary range.
- Communicate program offerings to current and prospective students
- Process student registrations and schedule lessons
- Enforce BKCM policies and resolve student and faculty issues
- Prepare daily payment reports
- Registration system set up and maintenance
- Set up and maintain all course offerings and schedules for onsite divisions including Community Music School, Suzuki, and Music Therapy in the registration software
- Manage and troubleshoot back end of registration software
- Maintain and ensure accuracy of student records
- Prepare enrollment, tuition and student reports
- Office management
- General reception duties including answering and screening phone calls, distributing mail, and fielding inquiries
- Update and manage weekly and daily room schedules including rentals, classes and studio equipment
- Monitor daily rentals of rehearsal spaces
- Building opening and closing as needed
- Assist with facility maintenance and supply ordering as needed
- Special events
- Assist with BKCM’s signature fundraising events as well as various individual and community building events.
- Other duties and special projects, as assigned.
BKCM is specifically hiring 1 full time Registrar for these shifts; however, schedules are modified over the summer, and may be modified over future terms.
Required Fall/Spring (September-June) hours for this position are:
- Wed: 2:00 -10:15 PM
- Thur: 2:30 -10:15 PM
- Fri: 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Sat: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
- Sun: 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM
- Mon: OFF
- Tues: OFF
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SCHOOLS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Excellent administrative, organizational and customer service skills
- Outstanding attention to detail, demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive and friendly demeanor, “roll up your sleeves” hands on attitude
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook as well as Google Drive
- Experience with Active Net and ASAP registration systems a strong plus
- Passion for music and/or arts education a plus
- Experience working with special needs communities a plus
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
How to Apply
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Administration Michaela Mechlovitz at Michaela.Mechlovitz@bkcm.org by Friday, February 22nd, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the cut-off date.
Full time employees are eligible to participate in benefits through BKCM including medical, dental, and vision insurance, and paid vacation.
BKCM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate due to age, sex, religion, race, color, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law.