About Our Organization
Founded in 1897 as a formal music conservatory serving 200 students, the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music now serves more than 15,000 individuals annually and collaborates with more than 50 organizations including schools, and youth, social service and senior centers, as well other arts and culture organizations and city agencies, to provide music instruction, music therapy, and performances in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and Manhattan.
Mission: The Brooklyn Conservatory of Music: transforming lives and building community through the expressive, educational and therapeutic powers of music.
Core Values: BKCM is committed to providing a nurturing environment that promotes and personifies excellence, collaboration, and community for individuals engaged in performing and music study.
The Brooklyn Conservatory of Music (BKCM) seeks a Junior Graphic Designer to add to its Marketing and Communications team. The Junior Graphic Designer is responsible for supporting the design and creation of a range of digital and print materials to promote BKCM’s diverse programs, classes, initiatives, and full calendar of events. Under the direction of the Marketing and Communications Manager, the Junior Designer will assist the Lead Graphic Designer (Lead) to carry out the design of materials, assure consistency of concept and brand across materials. Candidate should have a strong ability to execute design direction and to design contemporary, engaging materials within BKCM’s established style and visual brand.
The position will be approximately 15 hours per week and reports to the Marketing and Communications Manager. This is a part time contracted position. Selected applicant will submit a signed W9 upon hiring. Pay is calculated hourly, the rate will be between $25 and $30 per hour based on experience.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications Manager and Lead to tie design into the overall brand strategy of the organization.
- Assist with the design and creation of print communications with focus on top-level campaigns such as major fundraisers, annual fundraising and information documents, and other important events and programs, taking direction from the Lead.
- Design and create print communications for other BKCM marketing needs within the established visual brand, including concert series, registration materials, class offerings, community events, and more. Materials may include postcards, posters, brochures, flyers, ads, programs, banners, invitations, fundraising appeals.
- Ensure that all materials follow the style guide which provides a visual center and brand consistency for the organization.
- With the Marketing Associate, produce and resize graphics for social media, the BKCM website, other digital platforms and print materials.
- Design email marketing campaigns and newsletters.
- Contribute to archive of organization's assets and design files.
- Advise and assist Marketing Associate with website visual design and layout.
Required Experience and Skills
- Professional experience with the Adobe Creative Suite (primarily InDesign, also Photoshop and Illustrator) and Microsoft Publisher. Experience with Sketch and Spark a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience with typesetting, typography and designing within a style guide. Experience with visual art a plus.
- Two or more years’ experience working in a graphic design and marketing capacity (including internships)
- Knowledge of designing emails in Mailchimp and creating images for email marketing.
- Experience in event and program brand design a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity designing for a broad spectrum of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat).
- Knowledge of and experience in Wordpress website platform. Basic HTML, web design, desktop publishing skills.
- Knowledge of communication and professional printing industry standards and practices including preparing a document for print.
- Experience with archiving and organizing assets and working files.
- Strong project management skills, detail oriented, ability to multi-task and set priorities within tight timelines and to work independently.
- Photography, videography and photo/video editing skills a plus.
- Knowledge of classical, jazz, and other various styles of music and/or arts education a plus.
- Knowledge of educational, family, and arts marketing and promotion in Brooklyn a major plus.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and portfolio to Director of Administration Michaela Mechlovitz at email@example.com by Friday, January 18, 2019.